Saturday, January 22, 2011

And then I said, "Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"

Things have not been very good lately in the world. Shootings in Tucson, the media bickering, left wing and right wing idiots pointing fingers at each other ... so let's take a moment to look at something a bit happier, a 'guilty pleasure' if you will.

There's a new My Little Pony TV series out, and Celestia help me, it's actually pretty good. My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic (abbreviated FiM) is the third television series and follows the 4th Generation ponies. Initially, Twilight Sparkle, a unicorn and disciple of the god-queen Celestia (though she prefers to be called a princess) is sent to Ponyville in order to supervise the preparations for their equivalent of Summer Solstice. Without giving too much away, she ends up having to make friends to save the world from becoming shrouded in eternal night.

I really like how the characters are portrayed in this show. Character development progresses well, and the characters tend to break the mold. Twilight Sparkle, for example, is a bit of a shut-in bookworm, which is pretty normal, but she's also a Type A take charge sort of girl. She's not portrayed as shy (that's Fluttershy's job), but as someone who would simply rather stay home and read a book than go to a party. Her organizational skills save the day a couple of times, notably in the Winter Wrap-Up episode.

The show is also not afraid to poke fun at its predecessors. For example, the previous series included random musical numbers. In FiM, Pinkie Pie will occasionally burst into a musical number, but then she's the one all the other ponies think is crazy. ("Tell me she's not." "She is.") The show has even developed a bit of a colt following.

Anyways, I could go on about the show a bit more, but it's pretty late here and I need to get some sleep. There are lots of various forum discussions, I highly recommend checking out some of them. Also the TV Tropes page.

Also, if you're wondering about the title of this post, see the first few seconds of this.

Also, in case you didn't see it, I made another post earlier today. This is the second of two posts as my apology for not updating last week, so hit the jump to see my other update.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Friendship is Magic, indeed. =3

It's a really great show, one of the best cartoons I've seen lately. There's not many good ones out there, and I never expected MLP to be the one to step it up!

Johnny said...

It's so strange how by now, the whole "cult following" as it were in January is nearly an internet subculture by now. If it weren't for human ignorance and the innumerable flame wars started by the bigots who can't handle this fact, I'd say the entire fandom is not going anywhere at the moment.

Notice: This blog is best viewed in Firefox, I've had trouble viewing it properly in IE. Mozilla, if this directs even one person to get Firefox, you're welcome.